|THE GOAL: Have enough water on-hand for your family to last 3 days.|
It's time to think about Water
February's Do 1 Thing task is water - having a 3 day supply for everyone in your home - including pets. That comes out to 3 gallons for each family member and 1 gallon for each average pet.
There are a few ways to accomplish this:
- Purchase and store a 72-hour supply of commercially bottled water (or more – up to two weeks)
- Bottle a 72-hour supply of water at home.
- Learn how to provide a safe supply of drinking water for your household in a disaster.
Visit this month’s Do 1 Thing topic page for fact sheets and additional resources on water preparation.
Portable Water Filters: Another method for those families living near bodies of fresh water such as lakes and ponds is to purchase a camping water filter (see Amazon for examples). These filters come in all forms: personal straws, hand-held pumps, and family-size models. These filters will produce hundreds of gallons of drinkable water before needing to be serviced.
Do 1 Thing is a web-based, twelve-month preparedness program that focuses on a different area of emergency preparedness each month. Remember: emergency preparedness doesn’t have to be hard or expensive.
It’s as easy as:
- Click on this month’s topic
- Select one of the easy “Things to do”
- Do that one thing!
Please see my January post about the Do 1 Thing program for additional information.
Image credit: http://do1thing.com/