Do1Thing.Com's Goal for Decmber: Make sure your family knows what to do while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.
Below is a list of things the Do1Thing team recommends you can do to achieve your goal this month.
Choose at least one, and complete it!
- Know what to do while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. Tip: Don't be afraid to call 911 in a medical emergency. Use the speaker-phone mode so that you can help the person in need while at the same time talking to the 911 operator.
- Make or buy first aid kits for your home and car. Tip: When you buy a kit for your home or car, go through it so that you are familiar with all the contents. Don't be afraid to add items if needed. Example: in my car kit, I've added more large gauge bandages, medical tape and more gloves. In a car accident, you're going to need those more than "paper-cut-sized" bandages.
- Take training in first aid, CPR, AED, or pet first aid. Tip: The American Red Cross and many other organizations offer classes that are either free or very low cost. Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training also includes first aid training.
Visit this month’s Do 1 Thing topic page for fact sheets, videos and additional resources on ensuring your family gets the correct emergency information.
Do 1 Thing is a web-based, twelve-month preparedness program that focuses on a different area of emergency preparedness each month. Remember: emergency preparedness doesn’t have to be hard or expensive.
It’s as easy as:
- Click on this month’s topic
- Select one of the easy “Tasks”
- Do that one thing!
Please see my January 2015 post about the entire Do 1 Thing program for additional information.
Image credit: Do1Thing.Com